I was born and raised in North Philadelphia to a father who was a railroad worker and mother who was a factory worker. As a biracial child in a very segregated city, I was raised to see value in all people, to work hard for what I wanted and to serve God by serving humanity. My parents developed in me a love of family, education and community.
After graduating the nationally acclaimed Central High School for Boys, I matriculated to Morehouse College where I was on both Honor Roll and Dean’s List. Eventually, I would be honored by that school by being inducted to the Morehouse College Board of Preachers.
After many years in corporate america, I accepted a call to full-time ministry and have spent the last 15 years of my life dedicated to human, economic and community development. Since 2005, I have pastored Word Tabernacle Church in Rocky Mount, NC. This church has grown from a church plant of 14 people to a mega-church serving thousands of families from ten North Carolina Counties. In 2013 we were named amongst the 100 fastest growing churches in America. Over the years there have been many awards in acknowledgment of our work and for that I am humble and thankful. In addition to my responsibilities as Pastor, I serve as President, The Impact Center, where we provide the place, programs, partnerships and paradigms that enable people to progress. We are currently in the final phase of a 125,000 square foot building re-use project to serve both our most successful and most struggling residents. Over the years, we have created jobs, increased the tax base and assisted people in their goals to become fully contributing members of society.
I am motivated by my love for humanity and for family. I deeply desire to leave a better world for my children and grandchildren, most of whom also reside here in North Carolina. The only thing I love more than being a pastor is being a father. I have been blessed with 5 children (4 living) that are also active in the community and in their schools.
I am a member of the Board of Visitors, N.C. Wesleyan College and the Board of Visitors, Shaw University School of Divinity. I am a member of the Kiwanis Club and a Fellow, NC Institute of Political Leadership. Over the years I have served on the Boards of The Tar River United Way, Rocky Mount Chamber of Commerce and the Tar River Mission Clinic. I am frequently found speaking to students in public schools and consulting with a myriad of agencies including homeless shelters and boys and girls clubs.
I am a Pro-Life Democrat that is fiscally conservative and socially moderate. I believe in:
- Removing the gridlock and the political paralysis that currently drives our legislative process
- Executing public policies that are reasonable, cost effective and fiscally conservative
- Focusing on entrepreneurship, start-ups and fast growing firms within states
- Building infrastructure in rural and poorer communities that will promote business incubation and healthy lifestyles
- Promoting justice for the mentally ill and the formerly incarcerated
- Refining the social programs targeted toward children, woman and marginalized families
- Addressing violence from a public health perspective
- Increasing support to public and higher education and training programs
- Embracing a fuller pro-life argument from multiple lenses including wage oppression, gender inequality, residential segregation, and resources to improve life expectancy
When time and weather permit you will find me riding some country road on my Harley Davidson Road Glide